Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney for an auto collision that isn't my fault?

Murrieta, CA |

I was the last car stopped on the freeway at an exit. Car behind me rams into me. SUV behind her rams into her, which caused a 6? 7? car chain reaction. My car was the worst. Fortunately, My 2 children (6 & 11) and I are okay. Besides, the fact that we're all traumatized especially getting hit 3 times. All from the impact from the cars behind us. My son instantly said his back hurts right after the accident. I felt ok but the next day, my back and neck feels very sore. I don't know if this is just temporary? Or if I should seek a lawyer and see a doctor for this? Please help. This is my first accident and don't know what I should do? Thanks in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


With injuries following a car accident, you need (a) medical attention and (b) a personal injury attorney!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


I agree with Daniel. Please get your family to a doctor a.s.a.p. and contact a personal injury lawyer to protect your rights, help you with your car damage and injury claims and to take the stress off your having to deal with the adjusters.


You and your children should all get checked out by MD. After that, you should talk to a local injury lawyer. With all these impacts, there will likely be a lot of finger pointing amongst the different ins companies, and you could be caught in the middle. Consult should be free, and fees a percentage on contingency.


In chain reaction collisions typically the number of impacts felt by each driver holds the key to resolving liability.

You definitely need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney. Most provide free consultations and work on a contingent basis. Email attorneys this weekend and set up teleconferences for Monday. AVVO has a tool to help you find a lawyer:


You really should retain a personal injury attorney to help you through this. First of all, most personal injury attorneys provide you with a free initial consultation. Perhaps you could talk to a couple, and then choose the one you are most comfortable with and one who is highly experienced. Most attoneys for accidents like this are retained on a contingent basis, which means that their fees are not up-front and are taken only when there is a recovery. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


You should have a local personal injury lawyer investigate


Contact a local injury lawyer. They'll get you all treatment and handle the particulars of the legal side.


The first thing you need to do is get to a doctor. The next thing you should do is contact an attorney. Most attorneys who work in personal injury offer a free consultation. The attorney can then advise you as to whether his or her services are warranted in your case.

I wish you the very best of luck in dealing with these circumstances.


I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is your gut instinct is right that you need a lawyer in order to get the respect of the other party and their insurance company. Typically people who are in their first accident get taken advantage of by insurance companies. Moreover it sounds like the accident is completely the other persons fault; you are entitled to having your medical bills covered and other out of pocket expenses. Our firm does not usually settle cases until the client is 100%. We look at the case as a whole and attempt to figure out what the settlement should be. The insurance company will make you believe that your case is worth very little... Regarding pain and suffering, you need to speak to an experienced attorney that can strategize your case. Just because you were in an accident doesn't mean you have pain and suffering, at least thats what the insurance companies think. Make no doubt about it you have a great case, but you need help from a professional. You are entitled to your medical bills being covered as well.

Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hired can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case. There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled cases and/or spoken to clients in the Murrieta, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that the insurance company will offer you by yourself. Make your life easier and call an attorney today, you won't regret it. We give free consultations!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Get medical attention for everyone. Consult with an attorney. The earlier you retain an attorney the better. Why try it alone and second guessing yourself the whole way??


I'm sorry to hear about your injuries but glad to read that you and your children were not severely hurt. I recommend you speak to a personal injury attorney to handle your claims. From your facts, its seems like this case will have multiple parties and insurance companies. The insurance companies will likely try to deflect the percentage of fault from their own clients. An experienced attorney can handle all the communications with the insurance companies for you, send you and your children to the treatment for you injuries, and obtain the highest settlement for damages. Although you were not at fault, an attorney can arrange for the treatment to start immediately without any out of pocket costs to you. Furthermore, insurance companies are notorious for offering less than comparable settlements. An attorney can ensure your rights are protected and that you and your children receive an adequate settlement to cover injuries, emotional suffering, property damages and future medical expenses. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer