Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney?

Burlington, NC |

My 17 year old son was stopped for a license check and the officer found a street sign in his vehicle and charged him with possesion of stolen property. Apparently a friend left it in his car. Do I need an attorney to represent us in court ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


As a general rule anyone charged with a violation of criminal law should have an attoreny represent them. I strongly suggest that you attempt to contact an attorney in Burlington who practices criminal defense. Most states will allow a first time offender in your son's position to enter into some type of diversion program which would entitle them to a dismissal of the charges and allow them to seal their record. You should realize however that some judges will consider this a serious offense. A few years ago several yound men were convicted of manslaughter charges after stolen stop signs resulted in a fatal car accident. The smart thing to do is hire a lawyer ASAP.