Skip to main content

Do i need an attorney?

Chicago, IL |

An altercation at a bar occurred, i threw my drink and as i did that it accidentally hit someone, she had 2 staples in her head. She filed police report, incident report with bar and also is demanded i pay her bill since the drink i threw accidentally hit her. She wants it in writing. What should i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


If she wants you to pay her bills and will release you from future liability I would take that deal if I were you. You may want to have a lawyer prepare a release for her to sign.


if you have homeowner's insurance, you should immediately notify your carrier of the incident. it should provide coverage since the injury was an accident although the throwing of the glass was intentional. in the event, she decides that paying her bills is not enough, you will need the coverage. also contact a lawyer and let him/her have the communications with the victim. if she is willing to settle for the bills you will need a proper release.


I would talk with an attorney right away and prior to contacting your insurance carrier. Do not give any statements until you have spoken with an attorney.


Your insurance company will give you direction on what to do next. Tell them you want to know immediately that you are covered. Put that in writing.

Answering this question does not set up a attorney-client relationship between us. My comments do not constitute legal advice. If you would like to pursue representation, please contact me.


Report it to your homeowner's insurance carrier to resolve.


Try to report it to your home owners or renters insurance. If not, get a lawyer asap.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


You may need a criminal defense attorney. I wouldn't discuss that in a public forum like this if I were you.


She will almost certainly file a dram shop case against the bar. Part and parcel of this is a claim against you, the AIP or alleged intoxicated person. That is why the others are telling you, correctly, to report it to your homeowners' carrier.

If you are NOT covered by homeowner's insurance, and there are no criminal charges, you may want to discuss this with either a criminal or injury lawyer, so that if you do make a deal with her a proper release is executed. If you do get charged, definitely get a criminal attorney.

Do not talk about this except with your homeowner's carrier.

Good luck.

Fortunately, you didn't injure her worse. These scenarios can be quite awful from my experience.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


In addition to contacting your homeowners insurance carrier and advising them of the incident, I would strongly recommend that you contact also a criminal law attorney and let the attorney know of this incident and that you will need him/her on call. The party that was hurt did file a police report.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.