Skip to main content

Do I need an attorney?

San Antonio, TX |

Someone stole my checks out of my apartment mailbox, and are writing them all over town. I closed my bank account, notified several of the businesses where the checks were passed, and filed a police report. One of the businesses is sending me letters saying if I don't pay they will turn me over to the DA. Unfortunately, this person is now altering the account and routing number, but still using my name and address, and a fake DL. I am concerned because I am amidst an extensive background screen to take my nursing board exams in January. Can I be prosecuted if I have turned over what I have to the police and can this affect my background check?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I can't imagine that you'd be prosecuted, but people in positions of authority never cease to amaze me.

Try starting here:

This might also help:

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Good luck.


Consult with an attorney. Write all the businesses, copy the DA's office, make a written record to protect yourself. Write all the credit bureaus advising of the crimes and let your attorney protect you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Filing a police report was the best thing you could do to protect yourself. That won't necessarily prevent anything from being filed ever, but it will help most potential cases get filtered out. And it will be an easy go-to defense if something is filed. I would keep copies of the police report handy to give to retailers that are trying to collect from you. You might also want to get letters on file with the major credit bureaus in an abundance of caution.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III


You might have a claim to make with your homeowners/apartment insurance policy if you have one and if this type of theft is covered.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer