Skip to main content

Do I need a worker's compensation attorney to stand for me?

Wickliffe, OH |

I got hurt at work via a falling shake glass rack that my assistant manager dropped on my head by accident. They were rearranging the racks on a shelf above me when one slipped and hit my head. I suffered a concussion and this instance was mid-January, I am still having headaches. The Company is Steak n Shake. I have also suffered another injury on the job, slipping on a wet floor and rolling my ankle. Going back to the concussion, I have a VP shunt, and luckily the rack didn't damage it. Now as far as my ankle, I haven't worked since Saturday and I will be off my regularly scheduled Friday and Saturday. I don't know where to turn. I mean, If hit right in my head, I could have died. I am disabled mentally and physically. What is a good price range to ask for for the claim(S)?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Workers comp lawyers will usually give an injured worker a free initial consultation. Take advantage of that and get yourself from free legal advice from a couple of local workers' comp lawyers. You can use the search function here on AVVO to find a couple to talk to.

This answer is intended as general information and not as specific legal advice. If you want to have a free consultation with me, please contact me through AVVO.


I would consult with a local attorney about your workers' comp. rights. If you feel you are going to be out of work for an exteneded period, you may want to consider applying for SSDI benefits as well.


You REALLY need an attorney. If your condition is disabling, you need medical diagnoses that support your claim. An attorney will advise you. Failure to secure these supporting documents will likely lead to further injury and/or financial hardship.

Find an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney here on AVVO. Attorneys on AVVO want to help you but we are not permitted to solicit your business. You must contact us.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.


Without a doubt, you should consult with an experienced workers' compensation attorney. There are various types of compensation which you may be entitled to receive and an experienced workers' compensation attorney will explain the types of compensation and maximize your recovery. I recommend you contact an attorney.


I agree with the other answers here that you should contact a workers compensation attorney and that way you'd be able to get a better handle on what types of claims you could make.

Any advice given here should not be considered to create an attorney-client relationship between us, and because of the limited nature of the interaction, is relied upon at your own risk.


First, yes you have a claim. If you went to the emergency room or an Urgent Care, they likely have already submitted paperwork on your behalf to the Ohio BWC and you should expect to receive a claim number from them in the mail soon. You can also log onto their website ( to see if a claim has been filed. If one hasn't yet been filed, you can do so online by completing the proper forms.

Second, you aren't yet at the point of considering "a good price range to ask for the claims" as that typically means "settling" your claims which also means "closing" your claims. Sounds to me like it's way too early to talk about that as you still need treatment and time for your injuries to heal. In the meantime, you are likely eligible to apply for workers' compensation benefits for both of these injuries (and any others you may have sustained over the years), so I would encourage you to talk with an attorney who handles Ohio workers' compensation claims. Your employer has people who represent them in their workers' compensation claims and their job is NOT to inform you of YOUR rights but, rather, your employer's rights. I'd strongly suggest you contact someone to advise you of your options and your rights as an injured worker.


Anyone who is injured on the job should get a Board Certified Ohio Workers Compensation Specialist Attorney.

You should discuss your claim with an attorney as soon as possible.

Mike Gruhin

If you think this is a good answer, please complete the survey below. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not consider this response legal advice. Do not rely on this response or take action based on anything contained herein. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and/or legal documents. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship


No injured worker is required to have counsel in order to participate in the Ohio workers' compensation system. Saying that, you should assume your employer will have representation - either legal counsel, a non-attorney workers' compensation representative, or in-house human resource individuals, or frankly a combination of the 3. To protect yourself, you should have equally skilled representation. This is also a sophisticated area of practice where failure to meet strict deadlines can easily defeat an otherwise valid claim.

James Paul Monast

James Paul Monast


Ron makes several excellent points in this answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer