Do I need a Traffic attorney? What information will I need to fight this case?

Philadelphia, PA |

I have a traffic citation for failure to yield right of way at the intersection. I received this citation after being in an car accident. I had the stop sign and the other driver did not. I stopped at the stop sign, did not see a car and proceeded to go on. I was just about through the intersection when the Jeep going very fast hit his brakes and hit the driver side of my car. I have pictures of the damage done to my car but not of the other drivers and I can show how far his car dragged me down the street before he ran into a pole. My day in court is next week and I'm kinda scared that I won't win because I don't have an attorney. I didn't think I would need an attorney but I received a letter in the mail from a traffic attorney stating that I should have one represent me in court.

Best Answer

At the Philadelphia Traffic Court, you always do better if you have an attorney present. Procedure is weird, there will be no witnesses, and the judges are more likely to take your story seriously if an attorney tells it for you.

In short, you need a lawyer. A lawyer tells the court what happened, and you might win. You do it, and the judge will tell you to take it up on appeal. That's just how it is at Philly Traffic.

And as an added bonus, you'll get to go before all the other people sitting around waiting.

V. Iyer

V. Iyer

It takes a Philly lawyer to give it like it really is in Philly Traffic Court. Thank you for your candor.

Charles Thomas Jr.

Charles Thomas Jr.

I refer to Philly Traffic Court as the 10th Circle of Hell. It's also been a hard week or two at the 10th Circle. http://articles.philly.com/2011-12-21/news/30542314_1_ronald-d-castille-administrative-judge-grand-jury http://pennrecord.com/news/philly-traffic-court-judge-relieved-of-duties-following-sexual-harassment-allegation/

You have the right to represent yourself in court. The need for an attorney, especially for relatively minor things like traffic infractions, is based on your personal preference. Some people are completely comfortable handling a situation as you describe others are not. If you hire and attorney, you are paying for piece of mind. You are making sure that everything that can be done to better your chances in court is being done.

It is not required that you have an attorney but often it is a good idea to have someone with you who knows the legal and technical aspects of traffic cases. Sometimes, we can get tickets dismissed without anyone ever testifying due to some technicality such as a speedy trial issue or a faulty citation. Traffic ticket attorneys usually offer very reasonable fees and if it gives you the peace of mind, you may want to consider it.

YOu do not need to have a traffic lawyer represent you however it does increase your chances of winning. As for showing how far you were dragged, you can testify to it. Your pictures can come in as evidence too. Your insurance company may have pictures of the other car, ask for copies.
Finally, if you need more time, ask for it. The judge will give you time to either get the photos or an attorney or both if you haven't abused the adjournment process and if you are polite about it.

if you are asking my opinion, I would hire a good traffic court attorney to help you.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.