Skip to main content

Do I need a special estate checking account to deposit my deceased mother's estate check from her retirement?

Augusta, GA |

I am the appointed administrator of the estate and the only heir for the estate.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Although I'd want more information to advise you, generally you should run all estate transactions through a separate account.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


You sure do.

The bank generally won't cash a check made out to the estate, even if the administrator signs it. Similarly, they won't allow it to be deposited into a personal account.

An estate checking account is easy to obtain. In addition to your letters of administration (and perhaps a certified copy of the death certificate), you'll only need an estate TIN (taxpayer ID number). I've posted the link below for obtaining this. Doing so should only take about five minutes. Be sure to access the site with Microsoft Internet Explorer and to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.

I'm sorry, incidentally, to hear of your mother's passing.

No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by this communication.


Mr. Ashman is correct in stating that more information would be needed, and that, in general, estate assets should be run through an estate account. If the retirement benefits were actually made payable to your mother's estate, rather than to you or any other individual, then the estate will normally be the entity which pays the taxes on that income, and in that case it would be particularly important to have the money in an estate account initially.

Instead of trying to get specific help in this format, I would very strongly recommend to you that you consult an experienced probate attorney to help you figure out how to handle the estate, if you haven't already done so. Even if you have been appointed administrator and are the only heir, the estate administration process can have a number of confusing areas and pitfalls, and the advice of an experienced attorney is generally well worth the money.

This answer is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice regarding your situation, or to create any attorney-client relationship. The intent is only to provide general information. You should be aware that you cannot rely on this answer to provide you with any protection against tax penalties. You should always consult your own attorney in order to obtain legal advice.