Skip to main content

Do I need a real estate lawyer?

Bolingbrook, IL |

I bought a property put it in my mothers name, I live in the property and pay all taxes, bills, and insurance. She said when I was ready she would change the house over to me but she is refusing. This was not a gift. The house is paid off and was bought with my money. She me into putting it in her name. I was young with money and I new i would need a place for my family so I purchased the house for me and my family.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Asked and answered an hour ago. The new facts do not change the answer.

You were very foolish. Is the home paid for? If not, there is a strong possibility that you are also on title. PLEASE consult with a local real estate attorney who can look into your title records. Fortunately, there are many good lawyers near you.


If you paid for it and there are no liens on the property you may have a good claim and a good chance at success but you still need to consult with an attorney. You will need to bring an action and get a court order to remove your mother from title. With the proper attorney she may just give in and sign the necessary documents rather than spend thousands trying to claim a legitimate ownership interest.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


Yes, you need to consult with a real estate attorney who also has a background in litigation.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer