Skip to main content

Do I need a real estate attorney?

Bowling Green, OH |

I have bought a house on land contract and after my 3 year term is up I still can not get conventional financing. The owner has agreed to do our own financing. I am going to pay for 8 years at a 5% interest rate and the house will be paid for. Is it possible to have the house put in my name and he just holds the deed as a regular mortgage company would do. And is this something i will need an attorney for.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The fact that you asked the question seems to beg the answer, that you should have your own legal representation.


Yes, you need an attorney. There are some factors related to a land installment agreement, or land contract, that you should know. For example, have you paid 20% towards the principal of the contract price during the past three years when adding in any down payment you may have paid? Is the land contract recorded? The recording of the land contract protects you the same as the deed meaning that all are put on notice of you rights to the property. There is so much more - so please, get a real estate attorney!

I am an Ohio-licensed attorney. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting me does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.


It would be best to have an attorney look at this for you. Please feel free to contact me and if we cannot help you, we can help you find someone.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer