Skip to main content

Do i need a re--entry permit or my greencard is enough?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am married to a USC, however I got a job in india for 11 months and I started working there in December 2012. My plan is to go back to the US indefentely in November 2013. Can i enter the US with only my greencard? I have not come back to the US Since December 2012

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If you leave the United States for more than 6 months at a time while in LPR status ('green card') you have the burden of proving that you didn't intend to abandon residency. Before six months, the burden is on the government. You may be questioned upon entry, you may want to consult with an attorney.


Having a reentry permit would have been a very, very good idea.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.