Skip to main content

Do I need a police brutality lawyer?

Austin, TX |

While in Austin, TX for work I was wrongfully arrested by a peace officer who beat me up so badly that I was knocked out due to my head being repeatedly slammed off the pavement until I was unconscious When I came to, I asked to be brought to the hospital. The results of the CAT scan showed that I had a brain bleed and I was forced to stay the night in the hospital. They later issued a warrant for my arrest for attempting to take a weapon from a peace officer. The case was recently no billed by the grand jury after they reviewed the evidence (video, statements, etc). I now and for the foreseeable future suffer from vertigo, memory loss, , PTSD, and anxiety, not to mention financial issues, because he wrongfully attacked me. What should I do? Should I start with a police brutality lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes--a civil rights attorney, who does police misconduct cases, would be a great place to start. Just don't waste time contacting one, since claims against public entities have a shortened statute of limitations (and require an administrative claim be filed first).

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.


Yes you may have a case. These types of cases do take a specialized lawyer who understands these types of issues, and time if of the essence, so please don’t delay.

No attorney-client relationship is established by S. A. Hayden Briggle's or Briggle & Polan, PLLC's reply to your query on AVVO. The reply provided is general in nature and should not be construed as specific legal advice under any circumstances. The only manner in which an attorney-client relationship can be established with S. A. Hayden Briggle's or Briggle & Polan, PLLC is through a written fee agreement signed by S. A. Hayden Briggle's or Briggle & Polan, PLLC. If you wish to speak with us further, please call us at 512-472-1926.


Of course. See one IMMEDIATELY. If you don't make an initial complaint within the proper time limit you may not be able to bring a suit ever. See a local civil rights attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.




Yes, absolutely.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer