Skip to main content

Do I need a personal injury lawyer?

Seattle, WA |

I Fell down 7 stone steps in a business building. The landing of the steps appeared longer, and the stairs all appear to be the same color leading to the appearance of a wider landing.. Railings along each wall on the side of the stairs. Not visible as you walk toward the front of the stairs. Fell down 7 steps, shattered the right radial head requiring surgery to replace it. 3 facial fx. Ins. adjustor for the bldg. stated probably no liability, $2,000 offer currently, but will call in two weeks with final decision. I will require physical therapy on my arm to regain use. I had been in the bldg. twice before recently, but never took notice of the stairs going in or coming out, so I didn't second think the distance to the end of the landing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9



My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

John Gus Zgourides

John Gus Zgourides


Quit talking to the adjuster.


I am sorry to hear about your horrible injuries. You should speak to an attorney and have these stairs examined by an expert. The information you provided is not enough to determine if the building owner is responsible for a dangerous condition. Don't accept any offers until you consult with an attorney.


It is unlikely you have completed treatment, meaning you do not even have a total cost of damages. You would also need to have the steps viewed by an expert in premises liability.

The short answer is to stop talking to the building owner's adjuster and start talking to a qualified attorney. The Seattle and WA bar associations can assist you with referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


A local personal injury lawyer would need to send out an expert to evaluate the stairs to see if there is some defect or dangerous condition.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


No question you need a lawyer. An insurance company's entire purpose is to take money in every day (premiums), invest/grow the money, and NOT pay it out. They hate paying money out. So the adjuster is of course telling you there is no liability because they don't want to pay you money. You need a good personal injury lawyer in your area - I would contact my friend Tom Breen at Schroeter Goldmark & Bender. Good luck.


I am sorry to hear about your accident. I agree with my colleages - you should definitely contact a personal injury attorney in your area IMMEDIATELY to assist you in this claim. Moreover, I would contact an attorney before making any additional statements to the adjuster. EVERYTHING YOU SAY, can and will be used against you! I would be careful in posting questions like this on a public forum like avvo and giving details of your claim and what you thought the landing looked like, or its distace, as these statements, your statements, can be used against you by the adjuster to disprove liability and argue you were not paying attention, etc.

Pursuant to AVVO community policies and guidelines, the content of this post is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be considered legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship. Therefore, it should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any legal action without first seeking the advise from an independent licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. This post also does not intend to solicit business and may be considered attorney advertisement in some jurisdictions. Statements of prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Stefano V. D'Agostino, Esq., is license to practice only in Massachusetts.


> Do not talk to the adjuster again.

> Do not post any details online anywhere - not even Facebook, etc.

> Consult directly with an attorney who can, among other things, hire a human factors expert to examine the stairs. Do so soon, in case they change the condition of the stairs (repaint with differentiated colors, for example). Changes may be inadmissible as a subsequent remedial measure. In plain English, repairs/improvements after the fact are not allowed as evidence.

> Do not settle until treatment is complete and you know the extent of the injuries and the impact of injuries on your life. Once you settle, it's over.

> Do not procrastinate. Talk to an attorney now.

This answer is based on limited information provided and is not a substitute for legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is created. To protect your interests it is best to seek a private consultation with an attorney.


Yes, you need a lawyer to appropriately assess the situation. Do not give any statements to the insurance carrier.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


You should talk to a lawyer. Avvo rates and profiles 90% of the personal injury lawyers in WA - see the list below. You might also look into speaking to a couple of the many attorneys who gave you excellent advice here. I'm sure that one of them could help you.


Mark Britton
CEO, Avvo

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer