Skip to main content

Do I need a Medical Malpractice attorney?

Tacoma, WA |

Had abdominal surgery late in 2008 - nerve damage in one hand and one leg still unresolved 15 months later. Am concerned about numbness and nerve pain in hand – use computer on job eight plus hours a day, numb hand and shooting pains from hand up through arm is not conducive to accurate keyboarding nor accurate analysis of complex mathematical data.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I strongly urge you to seek the help of a medical malpractice attorney in your area. The attorney should discuss with you the level of proof necessary in a medical malpractice case as well as any requirements needed to file a suit. I have looked at Washington's Statute of Limitations for Medical Malpractice cases which states

" professional negligence shall be commenced within three years of the act or omission alleged to have caused the injury or condition, or one year of the time the patient or his representative discovered or reasonably should have discovered that the injury or condition was caused by said act or omission, whichever period expires later, except that in no event shall an action be commenced more than eight years after said act or omission: PROVIDED, That the time for commencement of an action is tolled upon proof of fraud, intentional concealment, or the presence of a foreign body not intended to have a therapeutic or diagnostic purpose or effect, until the date the patient or the patient's representative has actual knowledge of the act of fraud or concealment, or of the presence of the foreign body; the patient or the patient's representative has one year from the date of the actual knowledge in which to commence a civil action for damages."

An attorney will also help you to determine when the Statute of Limitations began to run and when it terminates. If you fail o file a lawsuit before the Statute of Limitations expires, you will forever lose your right to do so.

Hope this helps.

/s Donald Kudler

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer