Skip to main content

Do I need a license to rent rooms from my house?

Chula Vista, CA |

I have a four-bedroom house. With my husband unemployed and three rooms available (empty nest), I have been thinking of renting three rooms to serious-minded people. Do I need a boarding license or any type of license from my City (Chula Vista)? And, if I decide to stay with my sister for six months, can I rent all four rooms? My interest is in covering the mortgage payment, which three rooms will do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

If you rent out the rooms for periods shorter than 30 days, you will be subject to California's Transient Occupancy Tax, codified in Sections 7280, et seq., of the California Revenue and Taxation Code. I am not familiar with your local ordinances, but you should visit the office of finance of the city of Chula Vista to see if they require you to obtain a tax permit registration. You should consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.


As a franchise attorney, I agree with the other attorney answer. I assume you are contemplating more of a month-to-month tenancy, so you should have a written lease at a minimum. Contact your City to see if they have any specific boarding license requirements. You should also have a real estate attorney draft the lease you use with your tenants.

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer