Skip to main content

Do I need a license to become a debt collector in NJ? If so how do I get one?

Union, NJ |

How do I get a license to become a debt collector in NJ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are state and federal debt collection laws that debt collectors need to adhere to or they risk being liable to debtors. But I know of no federal or state license requirement that affects NJ's or any other state's residents to do this job. Check with your city's finance office to see if you need a business license and are required to pay a city business tax.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


You may need to be registered as a business, and you will need to be familiar with and compliant with state and federal laws that regulated debt collectors, but beyond that, there are no special requirements to be a debt collector.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.


You will also need to post a bond.

This office does not represent you. This email does not form any attorney / client relationship. In order to form an attorney client relationship with our office, our office requires both a signed retainer and payment of any initial fee. Further, since we have very limited facts relative to your matter, you should not rely on any of the general advice set forth within our answer. I would strongly recommend that you speak with counsel regarding your issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer