Do I need a lawyer to write a letter in answer to a summons for debt collection when I am the wrong person?

Myrtle Beach, SC |

The debt is in my same name but is not my credit card and does not show in my credit reports.

The summons even states that the signed credit card agreement has been lost.

No but if you do not want a judgment against you it would be best for you to retain an attorney to represent you. Just writing a letter is not going to do anything.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

You definitely need to retain an attorney to represent you in this action. If the credit card company served you with the lawsuit, they believe you are the debtor. If it is not your account, you will need an attorney to file an Answer on your behalf and defend the case.

Any information provided is simply based on a review of the information provided by the question. This answer does not constitute formation of an attorney client relationship.

If you were served, you need to file an answer. If you do not, they will get a default judgment against you. However, if you appear in the case, the burden is on them to prove that you owe the money. If they can't - you win. That simple.