Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer to petition the court to stop child support in Massachusetts .

Webster, MA |

my son is 22 and away at college. lives with me now when he is home

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You do not need a lawyer to petition the Court to stop child support in Massachusetts. You will have to file a Complaint for Modification, and a Motion for Temporary Orders. Many people feel more comfortable with an attorney by their side, in case things get "sticky". You may hire an attorney just to appear at the hearing with you, and review your papers before you file. Please see the attached list for LAR qualified attorney's in Worcester.

This response is not intended, nor does it constitute an attorney client relationship. The answer given shall not be relied upon as legal guidance. You should retain counsel for legal representation, to provide you a more detailed and accurate answer to your question.


You do need to file paperwork in court but you do not necessarily need an attorney.

This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site.


You may want to file a complaint for modification and motion for temporary orders. You can certainly hire a lawyer for this, but it is not required.


I agree with my colleagues. You should go to court and seek a modification as your circumstances have clearly changed. Best of luck.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.