Skip to main content

Do i need a lawyer to file I-290B?

Brooklyn, NY |

my I-485 was denied and we couldn't make it for our second interview , we then mailed our information in and this did not get their in that is failure to appear. We are now ask to file I-290 form..

We received two letters one for me the beneficiary denial of form I-485 and my husband who is filing for me received another failure to appear which is The I-130 was denied because of that.. I am assuming we are to file one form which is the I-290 is this correct?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you filed the initial applications without assistance, I think you have your answer, get yourself to an immigration attorney now before you waste any more money trying to unsuccessfully file things on your own.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You are not required to have a lawyer to file the I-290B but it improves your odds to be represented by competent legal counsel. The processes and requirements of the 1-290B can be overwhelming and confusing without the guidance of legal counsel. Hire an immigration attorney.


You would file an I-290B if the USCIS made a mistake or did something wrong based on the law or on the facts. If the USCIS did not make a mistake in denying your petition and application, then you would be wasting your money and a lot of time filing an appeal. It would be wise for you to consult with an immigration lawyer to see if it makes sense to file an appeal or if it makes more sense to file a new I-130 and I-485.


Yes. You need an attorney to draft a legal letter or a memorandum of law to get the appeal accepted for processing.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.