Skip to main content

Do i need a lawyer if i am on probation and its my 2nd offense for retail theft

Union City, PA |
Attorney answers 7


Yes, you should always have a lawyer for any criminal proceeding. The stakes are too high to risk it alone (e.g., potential loss of freedom, fines, criminal record, loss of licnses in some cases, restitution)

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


Yes. Not only do you face a potential penalty for the retail theft, you also face a possible penalty for your probation violation.


You need to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you. The attorney can look for ways to avoid a conviction on the new charge and look for damage control on the violation.


Absolutely. First you need and attorney to identify any issues with the new case and ensure that the charge is graded correctly. Second, you need counsel to determine whether or not the new charge is a violation of your supervision, and advocate on your behalf if it is. Violations of probation and/or parole can sometimes have complicated issues. You should retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to handle both matters.


YES! You need a criminal defense lawyer ASAP!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Though you always have the right to act as your own counsel, I wouldn't recommend it, particularly in a criminal case with much at state such as yours.

I am an attorney in Pennsylvania but I am not currently *your* attorney. Nothing in my communication should be construed as creating an attorney/client relationship. Please contact me if you wish to retain me as your counsel.


That is like asking whether you need to see a doctor for a broken leg. A second offense retail theft is graded as at least a second degree misdemeanor regardless of the value of the property taken. If you are convicted of an M2 while on probation, you are normally looking at a stint in county jail. You absolutely need an attorney.