Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer for a minor accident where both drivers were cited?

Atlanta, GA |

I received a citation for failure to yield while turning left, the other driver received a citation for running a red light. The officer doesn't get paid enough to figure out who was at fault so he left it to the court to decide. No witnesses stopped so it is his word against mine. I have a perfect driving record for my entire life (10+ yrs) and live out of state. Insurance company has already issued a "no-fault" judgement so my insurance will not increase UNLESS points are assigned to my record. Would it be best to simply hire a lawyer and get this taken care of? How much are court costs and a fine for something like this? No injuries on either side.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8

Best Answer

These are unfortunate situations, but you can often negotiate a joint dismissal with the other party. Since you are the only witness against him and he the only one against you, you could both invoke your 5th amendment rights and the solicitor will usually go along with it. You have no other options except plead guilty or request a trial. Neither are good options. I've done this in Atlanta municipal court for clients so if that is where your case is pending judge Jackson will accept this deal and dismiss both tickets with a smile! Good luck.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


You should probably get an attorney to represent you in traffic court.

Greg Pope is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia and nowhere else. This post is intended to provide general information only about questions arising under Georgia law. Our firm does not intend to represent anyone desiring representation in a state where this website fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. No recipient of content from this site, client, whether current or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting based on information at this site. The Pope Law Firm expressly disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site. Note: Nothing in this website creates or establishes an attorney-client relationship.


I think you'll find that many attorneys will handle something like this for you for a very reasonable fee. Find someone you feel comfortable with and get this over with.

**Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer! ***This Reply is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. The Asker of the Question is urged to seek the advice of a professional in the area in question before taking any action.


If you have insurance, the will provide an attorney for you in the event of a lawsuit. In terms of your ticket, get a traffic ticket attorney to handle the matter.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.


Get an experienced traffic ticket attorney to represent you on the charges. If you are sued, forward all paperwork to your insurance company. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


In terms of the automible accident where both parties are alleged in an intersectional collision to have run a red light or failed to yield, this is an impossible scenario that both parties to have take these actions. The other option is that both parties were correct and the traffic light was operating improperly. Call a local attorney and get some advice regarding this accident.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4300 or visit us on the Web at


You should definitely hire a local attorney and avoid the points. In the long run, the avoidance of points is generally worth far more than the cost for representation.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created through the use of this website or by answering this particular post. Each claim is different and must be judged on its own merits. The response herein does not constitute legal advice. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Questions may not include significant and important facts that could significantly change the reply. Mr. Price is licensed in MO only and strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her particular state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer