Skip to main content

Do I need a Lawyer? Minor, first time offense, shoplifting

New York, NY |

Me and 3 other people stole 3 pairs of hedphones and protein (totalling around $150-$200) from shoppers drug mart recently and today police came to my friends door with surveillance pictures of us stealing. They said we ll must go to the police station tomorrow at 7. If we fail to show up we with be charged with theft. I had 2 headphones and the protein in my bag and the other pair of headphones were in my friends bag. We're planning on telling the truth and giving the stuff back tomorrow. We are all first time offenders and we have never been so scared in our lives.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would go with an attorney. You are on the right track wanting to return the items but need to negotiate the terms.


It is in your best interest to speak to a criminal attorney before going to the precinct.


It is not minor. You will be charged with a Class A misdemeanor. Retain a criminal defense lawyer and do not discuss the case with the police because those statements will be used against you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer