Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer? how much money am I paying? am I going to jail/any juvenile thing? is it going to be on my record as a dui?

Parsippany, NJ |

hello, I'm 17 years old and live in new jersey. I recently got into a car accident and do not have a license. moreover, the car is 100% unfixable and I drove into the state fence. after the accident, they took me to the hospital and took an urine test and I failed because I smoked week that week. furthermore, the policeman gave me 2 tickets, one for careless driving and the other one for not having a license.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Hire a lawyer. You need to look at the tickets to see what charges are against you. If they are just traffic citations and nothing else, it is unlikely you are going to jail.

Seek legal help.


You have more than enough going on that you need to have counsel representing your interests in all of your respective trouble areas.


I agree with the answers of my distinguished colleagues. You must retain an experienced DUI attorney. This is not something to try to handle on your own. Good luck.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


1. Hire a lawyer.
2. cost? depends on the lawyer in #1.
3. depends on the court. Refer to #1.
4. depends on how you're charged. Refer to #1.

This information is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You definitely should retain a lawyer. You are facing DUI charges as well as the other traffic offenses. Your attorney can raise the proper defenses.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier


Excellent observation!


You may get a juvenile charge in the mail for being under the influence. A DWI may come in the mail too. All the moving violations likely will be heard in Municipal Court. However if they charge the criminal charge it should all go to juvenile court. There is an argument that the urine could be suppressed if they did not get consent or a warrant. You can apply for the PD. But the PD only works one court. Therefore a private attorney is better. Call aeround for the costs we cannot discuss fees on AVVO.


Retain an attorney immediately. You may be facing DWI charges soon as well as the other motor vehicle charges. Even if convicted, you will not go to jail, but you will be facing very serious fines and a loss of your ability to get a license.

While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's opinion, suggestions and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will only be created through a fully executed retainer agreement.


If you get charged as a juvenile, you will be appointed an attorney who will be familiar with the juvenile court and able to give you sound legal advice. Do not drive without a license while these matters are pending.

This answer is intended to only provide general information and does not establish an attorney- client relationship. The information is not guaranteed as sound legal advice since most questions are very limited in nature. You may wish to consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer