Skip to main content

Do I need a lawyer?

Portland, ME |

Ind. contractor w/long term contract, was issued a corp card approved for personal use to offset invoice. Bookkeeper/secretary did not enter properly, owner failed to review accounts and budget, I ended up owing money. I never signed anything re the corp card and all agreements verbal; continued with company for 9 months after error was corrected and balance discovered; after completing with company they want structured loan agreement for repayment. I can't afford structured repayment, due to offering discount to company from onset of contract and early termination of contract; I don't want to screw them over but I don't want to screw me over either. What should I do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You owe what you owe, and if you don't agree to a repayment plan of some kind that you can afford, they may sue you. Maybe you can work off some of the debt.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer