Skip to main content

Do I need a fraud attorney?

Harrisburg, PA |

My friends mom had asked me to call in the unemployment office to see why his payments had stopped while he had been incarcerated I was unaware that you can't draw while incarcerated Now they are trying to charge me with attempted theft by deception yet I wasnt calling in to obtain money just imformation at his and his mothers consent

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you feel as though there is any indication you will be charged with benefits fraud you should seek the assistance of a qualified criminal attorney. Benefits fraud is a very serious matter, especially with the current economy. You should no longer talk with any representatives of the unemployment commission, the police, or any other investigating agency with the an attorney present (or at a minimum with their advice).

Best of Luck!

The materials on this site are provided for general informational purposes only. The information in not intended to constitute legal advice. The information presented on this site is general only. You should not act upon this information without consulting with an attorney for advice specific to you. This site is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and Yoo & Osborne, PLLC. You should not act or rely on any information in this site without seeking the advice of an attorney. No attorney-client relationship is created with the firm absent an express agreement between the firm and you, the client. The mere receipt by the firm of an email does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise confidential relationship with Yoo & Osborne. Please do not send us any confidential information until you speak with us and receive our authorization to send confidential information to us.


I agree with my colleague. You need to speak with a defense attorney ASAP. Do not speak with the police. Do not speak with anyone from the Inspector General's Office. Do not speak with anyone from the Attorney General's Office.


Two pieces of advice. First, don't talk about this on the internet or any other public place. Second, go see a local Criminal Law attorney right away. Discussing potential criminal charges or penalties at online forums can be risky. If your concern is about potential criminal issues, then you should not talk about it on the internet at all. Instead you should talk to a criminal law lawyer near you, right away. Many investigators now check social media and Q&A websites when they are investigating a possible defendant, looking for questions that may indicate possible guilt or damaging admissions that can be gleaned from questions posted online. To ask your criminal law question more safely, you may want to read this free online Avvo Legal Guide, How to Ask a Criminal Law Legal Question, Not Get in Trouble, and Get the Right Answer, here: I do not know what your circumstance is or if you are inquiring only generally or perhaps for another person who was wondering. Regardless, you should talk to a local criminal law attorney near you right away. Reading this free online Avvo Legal Guide may help you understand general concepts of Fraud, What is Fraud, You need to talk to a local Criminal Law attorney who deals with this kind of case. Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Criminal Law attorney near you. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote Up” review below. Thanks. Ron Burdge,

Click here to find a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys

Click here for a list of state and local attorney bar associations

Want a woman attorney’s help? Click here for a list of state and local women attorney’s bar associations

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Click the link to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.