Skip to main content

Do I need a criminal defense or immigration lawyer?

San Diego, CA |

My husband was arrested for PC245 (a) has not been sentenced yet . He is a U.S resident and we are trying to avoid deportation what would be the best thing to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


You need both. Hire a local criminal defense attorney to defend your husband and give him the best chance of avoiding deportation (removal). Consult with an immigration attorney to have a plan B, if your husband loses his criminal case.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.


The best thing would be to get a dismissal/acquittal. In the alternative, a resolution that has the least immigration consequences. An experienced criminal defense attorney is a good start. He or she will insist that you also consult an experienced immigration lawyer so that your husband is fully informed of immigration consequences. The immigration lawyer can advise the criminal defense attorney on what charge or charges would have the least consequences.


You definitely need to speak to a criminal lawyer, and might also need speak to an immigration lawyer. Before any plea agreements could be accepted on your husband's case the criminal lawyer should research and/or consult with an immigration lawyer for potential deportation consequences of the plea. A criminal lawyer might be able to negotiate or obtain a resolution that would avoid immigration consequences.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
(619) 229-1870

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*


There are some criminal attorneys who also practice immigration law or have as associate who is an immigration attorney - otherwise, you should immediately retain a criminal attorney & of course also immediately consult with an immigration attorney - many offer free initial consultations) Move fast!!!
You can obtain names & information on local attorneys via AVVO under the tab "Find a Lawyer"

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Best thing to do is to consult with and retain an experienced local attorney to represent your husband. There are good attorneys right here on AVVO, so give one of us a call.

Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy (619) 855-3003 or (760) 522-7006


Your husband will need the best defense possible to avoid the immigration consequences that could result from a conviction in his case. You should obtain a free consultation from a local defense attorney in this case to learn what can be done to ensure the best possible result.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381


You need both. Start with a locally experienced criminal defense attorney.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


As all have suggested, you will need to start with one of us local AVVO criminal defense attorneys to fight the charges on behalf of your husband. The criminal defense attorney will make the best decision and deal possible to try and have him avoid deportation. Also, the immigration attorney will be required to answer questions specifically in regards to those immigration issues. Most of us local criminal defense attorneys here on AVVO offer a free consultation. You should meet with a few and see who you are most comfortable with in having to fight this matter on behalf of your husband.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at


You need both. Hire a local criminal defense attorney to defend your husband and give him the best chance of avoiding deportation. Find an immigration attorney to have a plan in the event your husband loses his criminal case. Good luck