Skip to main content

Do I need a Criminal Defense Lawyer?

Jachin, AL |

Sold alcohol to minor by reading 1991 on a distorted paper license. ABC agent inform me that the card said 1994, as he showed a copy on his cell phone. It concerns me that he did not use the same paper id to show me that the date was 1994 instead of 1991.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is never a smart idea trying to navigate the system alone. You should get a lawyer to assist you.


Always a good idea to see a criminal defense lawyer when accused of a crime.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


It sounds like this was a "compliance check" also known as a "sting." In those cases, the police send a minor into the store to attempt to purchase alcohol. The clerk, if a sale is made, is then charged by the police with a crime. In addition, there can be ramifications to the store owner and the liquor license. So, where do we go from here?

Most "sting" operations involving "cooperating individuals" require a written statement of operating procedures. This is frequently true because not only are citizen informants / cooperating individuals involved, the C.I.'s are uniformly minors. So, the first question that you need an answer to was whether the police followed their own S.O.P. with precision. In addition, it is necessary to determine the potential of an entrapment defense. In this case, the police clearly asked you to do something illegal to charge you with a crime. So, it is necessary to determine whether or not they "crossed the line." Issues of recording and surveillance also come into play.

You will require an attorney in this case.


If you are charged you need an attorney.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer