Do I need a Consumer - Harassment lawyer?

Burlington, NC |

I have been receiving phone calls from Kaplan University since November of 2013. They are looking for a lady with my maiden name out of Nevada or California. I spoke to them three times and each time they state they will stop calling the number(my cell phone) they googled (which they admit to doing) for Audrey Bolden (my maiden name). I have never attended Kaplan nor do I owe any money to them or any college institution. This week alone I have received four calls stating they have programs for me to help with my debt.

Are these automatic dialer (pre-recorded) calls?

This message is intended for informational purposes only. It is impossible to consider all relevant facts from a message board question. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Readers should seek a personal legal consultation with an attorney of their choice for the most accurate advice.

No they are not. An actual Student Affairs employee calls me. And I have spoken to supervisors about them stopping.

Lynn Ellen Coleman

Lynn Ellen Coleman

Are you getting any bills in the mail or collection letters? What I suggest at this point is that you get the full name and mailing address of the institution and mail them a letter certified mail, return receipt requested (save the receipt) advising them that you are not the person they are looking for, denying that you ever attended Kaplan and have no outstanding debt to them, and asking them to stop calling you and remove your phone number from their system. If things don't stop after they receive your letter, contact an attorney. You should also pull your free credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com just to make sure this is not being reported against you.

I have not received any bills and will check credit report. In addition will compose a letter stating I have never attended Kaplan and send it certified.

It's not a good idea to put your personal information on this website since it is a public forum and anyone can see it. That said, you should keep a log of these calls, and when these people call you, get their contact information. Contact a consumer rights attorney near you to help you with the next steps - you can find a good one in your area by clicking the Find A Lawyer tab.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

You may want to consult a consumer attorney, but you may want to consider looking up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and following the requisite steps to force these people to stop calling you. If you do that and they persist, then you would have a stronger case and may want to consider hiring a lawyer. It really depends on how much time, energy, and money you want to spend on this issue. Good luck.