Skip to main content

Do i need a child support lawyer

Chicago, IL |

I have a four year old son,and his father doesn't pay child support & he works full time for the city if Chicago

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have established paternity, then a good lawyer could always make things a bit easier on you.

If there is a court order for child support in place, you can go for back child support as well.

This information on this post is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


You really do not provide enough facts here. Are you married? Divorced? Has paternity been established? If there is a court order forvsupportbyou need to get it enforced. If no order for child support you need one. Do yourself a big favor and hire a lawyer.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


You really don't NEED a lawyer but your life would be much easier if you were represented. First of all, though, it must be established that the man from whom you seek child support is legally the father. Were you married to him at the time your child was born? If not, did he sign the Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity or was he found to be the father in a court of law? If he is legally the father, you can ask for help collecting support from the state, but the better approach is to retain private counsel who can work quicker and probably get more done for you than just support.