Skip to main content

Do I need a Californa Certificate of Qualification or Statement of Foreign Corporation for my Nevada LLC because I live in Calif

San Jose, CA |

I currently have a Nevada LLC that contains my rental properties in Nevada. My rental properties are being managed by a Nevada Property Management firm and the banking for the property is in Nevada.
Since I live in California and my Nevada LLC does contain a California
mailing address do I need to register my Nevada LLC with the
Secretary of State in California.

Since I live in california, I do make phone calls to my property management company in Nevada. Is that considered doing business in California?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can register your LLC in california for very little money and not have to worry about this at

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do
not know the law in your state or at all for that matter and that I am
just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with
an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in
your area immediately after reading my posting.


I would recommend that you register your Nevada corporation in California as a foreign corporation. You will need to have a Certificate of Good Standing from Nevada. This filing will trigger compliance with the California Corporation laws and annual filings etc. I recommend that you seek the advice of counsel in order to consider whether or not your are doing business within this state and to consider many other necessary factors in considering this registration. It is not a simple black and white answer.