Skip to main content

Do I have to tell my insurance agent that I had a car accident if I only have Liability insurance?

Rockville, IN |

Medicare will be paying for the hospital bills. Will Medicare be contacting my car insurance company?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Under the terms of your insurance policy, you likely need to report every accident or they could deny a future claim.


You need to notify them if this was a collision that involved another individual, car or property not owned by you. If a claim is made and you fid not report it, the insurer may deny coverage, in which case you will be personally liable. It is possible that Medicare will notify your auto insurer.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana and is located in Highland, Indiana serving the Chicagoland area to Indianapolis. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.


It is much less stressful if you go ahead and report this accident to your insurance company. Once you do it, it will be off your mind. Your policy of insurance requires you to notify your insurance company.


You have a duty to contact your insurance company that is outlined in your own individual insurance policy. That having been said, you should definitely contact them. If you don't, they might use this failure to notify them as an excuse to deny coverage, saying that you "failed to cooperate." Contact them ASAP.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer