Skip to main content

Do I have to talk to police if they continue to call me about writing a statement against my wx husband ?

Old Saybrook, CT |

Im a class A. felon and was arrested in a domestic dispute with my ex. .. I was arrested and 6 weeks later they continue to call my phone to get a statement against my ex... I told them several times that I dont want to press charges I just want to put it all behind me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You do not, absolutely do not, have to talk to the police about anything, regardless of your past criminal history. Do not let them intimidate you. If they persist hire a criminal defense attorney who should be able to stop this nonsense.


Nothing good can come from speaking to the police. Consult a CT criminal defense attorney for further clarity.

The author of this answer is an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of Arizona. Unless both you and the author have signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not the author's client, and the author's discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and are neither privileged nor confidential.


Refuse to speak to the police if you do not, and retain an attorney to appear with you if they seek to bring you to the police station to be questioned, etc.


Counsel who commented about remaining silent are all correct. Police may protect and serve, but they do so by investigating crimes and arresting people they believe to be criminally responsible.

If you previously made an accusation against someone and no longer wish to stand by the statement, I recommend that you obtain legal representation. You may be exposed to criminal charges that your prior statement was false and there is also a cause of action that can be brought against you by the individual you accused alleging that you falsely accused him of committing a crime.

I wrote this to help you and others who may face issues like yours in the future. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you do, please click the thumbs up icon. If this is your question and you find my answer to be the most helpful, please click best answer. I appreciate feedback. My answer is not legal advice and does not establish a client/attorney relationship. The question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem and there is no chance to ask a follow up question. It is impossible to give complete advice without a thorough discussion of the facts, such as we would have during an initial consultation. Further, laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and are subject to change. So, please, do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.


No. you are not required to answer questions if you do not want to.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer