Skip to main content

Do I have to request for transfering my case if I have moved to another state?

Jamaica, NY |

I have filed my asylem application in virginia. In the immigration office they denied me and set another appointment before judge. I have moved to New York city now. I declared them my address had changed. Can I keep my case in Virginaq still while they send the letters to my new address in NY?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No. You must request a change of venue.



then, it means I can go to virgina for my next interview and they send the result to my new address?

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Deborah Lynne Karapetian


It means you can appear in virgina for the next hearing and ask the court to change the location, but it's better to find out now how to do it and let them know ASAP. You need to be careful so as not to be ordered deported.


I agree change venue and file address change with the court as well.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer