Skip to main content

Do I have to report a juvenile arrest when applying for a pharmacy license?

Sacramento, CA |

It was pc 484. No adjudication just a citizen arrest and a citation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If it does not ask for an arrest do not report it , if it does report it as a citizen arrest and citation

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


If you were fingerprinted and booked, it is an arrest. If just a "citizen's arrest" and a citation, never filed in court, then I don't think it will show up on a live scan.
You might want to report it as suggested, just so that it can't come back and bite you later. But if it never went to court, I would report it as a citation and NOT as an arrest.

Answering your questions on this forum does NOT constitute the forming of an attorney/client relationship. The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter based on any opinion posted on this forum. Rather, you should directly consult with an attorney about the particulars of your case before making ANY decisions.


My law firm handles a lot of Pharm Board application and disciplinary cases, and I have looked at the app as recently as within the last month. My recollection is that it does not ask for juvenile arrests. I know for a fact that it does not ask for juvenile adjudications.

Now, you are going into Pharmacy, a field where distinctions as minuscule as decimal points can cost a life or your career. So, get with the program NOW. Parse the application line by line or phrase by phrase. Answer ONLY what is asked. Do not answer what you think Pham Board could have asked, should have asked, should want to know, or might have meant. Answer what is asked.

If that app actually asks for anything pertaining to any juvenile criminal matter, you may want to respond with something like this: No disclosable (non-confidential) history as provided by California Welfare & Institutions Code. That will be sufficient to establish that you are not intending any deception or purposeful failures to disclose in the application process.

If Pharm Board comes back at you in a few weeks with a demand for disclosure of juvenile criminal history -- WHICH I HAVE NEVER SEEN FROM ANY CA STATE LICENSING AGENCY, AND I DO NOT EXPECT -- then you need to retain a CA professional/occupational licensing attorney to back the Board off because theft is a bad and dangerous issue in the State licensing process.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.