Skip to main content

Do I have to provide both my EIN and SSN as an independent contractor?

Lake Arrowhead, CA |

I am an independent contractor and provided this company with a W-9 form using my EIN. However they are requesting a copy of my driver's license and my social security card. They are also requesting a physical address instead of my mailing address which is a PO Box and are refusing to release payment to me until I do this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


By providing your license and SS Card you provide all your identification info to that company.
ASK THEM TO PUT THEIR REQUEST and the reasoning for that request IN writing and address it to your P O BOX address.
If you are a licensed contractor just show them your driver's license or State ID to identify you as the person you say you are.
That's more than enough. Some companies do those tricks to take time or avoid paying you or someone accused for something in the company and they try to get more info about you.
Just show them an ID that shows who you are.
Nothing else.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.