Skip to main content

Do I have to pay the highway patrol a $750 charge two and half years after a DUI?

Monterey, CA |

I was convicted of a DUI two and half years ago, and today I received a bill in the mail from the highway patrol attempting to collect $750 from me for costs associated with their time and my incarceration. There was no emergency, I had a flat tire and was waiting for AAA to show when a sheriff pulled up. They then called the highway patrol to transport me to the hospital for blood work then to jail. They also mailed this letter on the 20th of march, and expect payment on the 18th of April. What is the best response to this and how do I avoid paying it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This appears to be for the cost of law enforcement and was not ordered by the Judge as restitution. You can ignore it and chances are quite low they will pursue the matter given the low amount. Good luck.


They have started to do this more and more, likely due to the fact that California is broke. If the Judge did not order this as Restitution, you are clear unless they sue you in Small Claims Court.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


Unless it was ordered by the judge as restitution, you are not under a legal obligation. They may have a right to sue you.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


I believe my office already responded to this question. Please see the answer already posed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer