Skip to main content

Do I have to pay taxes on a gift of 10K from my parents?

Olympia, WA |

My grandparents recently passed away and left my parents some money. My parents gifted me 10K in December of 2009, and would like to gift me 30K in 2010 (as I may be purchasing a home). Do I have to pay taxes on the 10K in 2009? Additionally, how would the taxes work on the 30K in 2010? Do I have to claim it? Do my parents have to pay taxes on either gift? Thank you in advance for your advice! : )

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Gifts are not taxable income to the recipient, but gifts in excess of a certain amount are subject to gift tax. In 2009 and 2010 the figure is $13,000. So in theory each of your parents could give you up to $13,000 (total $26,000) this year before becoming subject to the gift tax.

I don't hold law licensure in Washington so if there is some special wrinkle there I'm not the one who can advise you on it. Check with a local tax lawyer or accountant if you need tax advice.

Good luck.


I should clarify: The federal gift tax is a tax on the GIVER, not the recipient.


My colleague is correct. This is a CPA issue more than a legal issue. There are lifetime gift tax exclusions that may help your parents. You do not owe any tax and do not have to claim.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


First, a recipient of a gift never pays income tax on gifts.
Second, the issue is to do the right gift tax planning for your parents.
Third, your parent each have an annual donee exclusion of $13,000. So the gift in 2009 qualifies for such exclusion.
Fourth, each of your parent's are also allowed a lifetime gift tax exemption of $1,000,000. Until that amount is used up there is no gift tax to be paid.
Fifth, the strategy here is to try to preserve as much of the $1,000,000 exemption, because it impacts the person's estate tax exemption (currently $3,500,000) at death. For example, if your mom gave you a million dollars, she would pay no gift tax but would have "only" a $2,500,000 exemption at her death. This is only important if she has more than that amount after the gifts at her death.
Sixth, so for $2010, the $30,000 gift would be offset by your Dad's $13,000 and your Mom's $13,000 annual donee exclusion. The other $4,000 would use up $4,000 of your parent's available $1,000,000 exemption. Therefore, there would be no gift tax and a minimal use of their lifetime gift tax exemption.
Seventh: They must file a Form 709 to report these gifts.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 9.7 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


Your grandparents have an annual gift exclusion of $13,000 per year each ($26,000 total per year). They also have a life time exclusion for gifts of $1,000,000. Gifts are taxable to the Donor if these limits are exceeded. However, there is secondary liability to the Donee if the tax is not paid. Therefore, in 2009 the annual exclusion completely covers the gift, and in 2010 $4000 of the lifetime exclusion would have to be used requiring the filing of gift tax return (Form 709). You or your parents should not have to pay tax on any of the gifts so long as they have at least $4000 of lifetime gift tax exclusion remaining.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.