Skip to main content

Do I have to pay for the dammage done in a car accident if im not insured?

Downey, CA |

I'm a California resident, and i was recently involved in a car accident. Unfortunately, at the time i did not have car insurance. a police statement wasn't filed, so i was not cited or sent to jail. Furthermore i now have insurance. Fortunately the other driver is insured against uninsured drivers. I'm very concern regarding the bills. Will i be hold responsible for all the damage? and what will happen if i cant afford them? Also I did agree to help pay for whatever i can. in this case the other driver agreed to receive 500 dollars for his deductible and in return he will sing a letter stating that he frees me from any responsibility. is this necessary? and if so will it help my case? Also will i be sent to court by his insurance?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


you have a lot of questions, and it will be most beneficial for you to contact a lawyer to iron all out your questions. Short of answering each one, you will be best suited to think about hiring an attorney to protect your legal interests.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but rather analysis. The proffered advice is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


The big question is why on earth were you driving without insurance? Didn't you know that is illegal and you put others at serious risk? If you are sued, retain a local lawyer to work out a payment plan for the damage you caused.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


There are two parts to any negligence case: (1) Liability and (2) Damages.

Liability means that you did something wrong and caused injury or damage. So if you were at fault for the accident and your negligence caused damages or injuries, then you may be held liable for those damages.

The damages portion of the lawsuit deals with the extent of the damages you caused. You can be held liable and therefor must pay for all the foreseeable damages caused by your negligence. However, this amount may also be reduced by any other party's negligence that also may have contributed to the accident.

If the other driver is agreeing to enter into a settlement release agreement then yes, definitely get it in writing.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter.


Since you were uninsured at the time of the crash, you will be held responsible for all the damages you caused. Whatever money paid by the uninsured motorists coverage they will look to you for repayment.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Due to the complications in your case i.e. signing an agreement with the other driver, I would recommend that you consult with a local attorney to review the facts of your accident and discuss what your options are moving forward. I hope you found my answer helpful.

Scott J Corwin
(310) 207 4030

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer