Skip to main content

Do I have to pay for my work-related injury?

Palestine, TX |

My employer said he will not pay for the hospital bill because when he asked if I wanted to go to the hospital I told him not if wasn't necessary. Well after he left, I decided to go ahead and go and make sure it wasn't serious. It's a deep cut nothing too serious, but the Owner said he will not pay because I had told him no. However my managers failed to write-up any sort of injury report. Is there anything I can do in this situation? or am I going to have to pay for this trip to the ER? This injury did happen in the workplace.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Emergency medical care is almost always covered under the medical provisions of workers' compensation. I would submit the bill to his insurance carrier for payment, if they refuse to bay it, seek a qualified attorney to assist you.


You will not have to pay but it will go much more smoothly if you hire counsel.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:


No. Most states will forbid the hospital / Urgent Care from collecting from you if they are aware that the injury is work-related. The Employer may balk, but the WC Insurance will pay or reduce the bill when they become aware of it.

I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.


Call the Dallas DWC at 214-350-9299 and tell them that you want to report this injury. Under the Labor Code which is the law applied by workers' comp injuries, emergency visits are covered by the employer's workers' comp policy. You can also try calling a local workers' comp lawyer by the name of Matthew Lewis at 972-644-1111 for assistance. Good luck.