Skip to main content

Do i have to pay child support if the child is not mine.

Bakersfield, CA |

my wife already had a daughter before we meet but she never knew her father and calls me daddy. we have been married for 2 1/2 years. and together for 3 years. the child is 7 years old now

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No you do not have to pay child support for a child that is not yours unless you adopted that child (and then they would be yours).

Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.


I agree. Unless you have adopted this child you have no financial responsiblity.

Note that should you and the mother not stay together you may also have a right to visitaiton even if you don't have a responsiblity for payment. I do not practice in California but CA and my state (Connecticut) are often on similar grounds when it comes to family law. You will need to speak with a practicing family attorney about that.

This not legal advice which can only be given after a full disclosure and discussion regarding your particular situation. Any answer or comment by the attorney des not create an attorney client relationship and is not protected by privelege.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer