Skip to main content

Do I have to pay child support if I have 50/50 custody?

Slidell, LA |

I have 50/50 custody of my daughter with my ex. We have her the same amount of time and split everything 50/50. However, I still pay 400.00 a month in child support and I pay my daughters health insurance which is 205.00 a month. I make more then her but, is this right?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Probably. Child support is based on needs of child and income and expenses of each parent. To the extent you earn more than your ex, support payments equalize things for your daughter's expenses. The expenses are obviously a larger percentage of the lesser earner's income than of your income.

If you feel payments are unfair you can always go to court and ask to have them reduced.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer