Skip to main content

Do I have to go and answer a cop's questions at the station?

Koloa, HI |

A cop called me to ask me to come to the station to ask me some questions. When I asked what it was in regards to he said a business has a theft case (accusing me) but he couldn't say any details. Do I have to go in? Should I have a lawyer before I answer questions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You don't have to "go down to the station" and answer questions. They want to make incriminatory statements. Do NOT go. Speak to a lawyer and the decide the best course forward.


Attorney Solis is correct. Do not go down to the police station. Do not try to explain yourself or try to do anything to talk your way out of the situation.

Call a local criminal defense attorney immediately. If the police are interested in speaking to you, then you need to have the protection of a criminal defense attorney.

Use the Avvo find a lawyer function for this purpose

Good Luck

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.


If you "had to go" they would show up at your door with hand cuffs. They do not have enough evidence to arrest you, so instead they are asking you to come there. Basically, they are hoping to convince you to come in and confess because they do not have enough without a confession. DO NOT GO. They will pressure you. If they continue, hire an attorney to draft a letter saying you do not wish to speak with them.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.


I agree with my colleagues. DO NOT GO! If the cops had probable cause against you, they would arrest you. If they thought you had evidence, the prosecutors would subpoena you. Contact a criminal attorney in Hawaii who can advise you about the best way to proceed.

The foregoing response is provided for general informational purposes only and is not a solicitation for business. Please retain an attorney if you need specific legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established until both you and me agree to establish one, and neither transmission of information herein, nor the receipt of such information, constitutes an agreement to establish an attorney-client relationship.



NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer