Skip to main content

Do i have to give my engagement ring back to my boyfriend if he is the one that broke up with me?

Jacksonville, FL |

My boyfriend moved out of my house after 3 years of being engaged and broke up with me. Now he wants my ring back. Can I legally keep it.

+ Read More

Filed under: Marriage
Attorney answers 1


"...In the absence of a contrary expression of intent, it is logical that engagement rings should be considered, by their very nature, conditional gifts given in contemplation of marriage. Once it is established the ring is an engagement ring, it is a conditional gift. "
Kansas Heiman v. Parrish, 262 Kan. 926, 942 P.2d 631, 634 (1997).

Other courts have reached a similar conclusion on the conditional gift concept.

Florida See Gill v. Shively, 320 So. 2d 415 (Fla. Dist. App. 1975);
California See Simonian v. Donoian, 96 Cal. App. 2d 259, 215 P.2d 119 (1950);
Connecticutt See White v. Finch, 3 Conn. Cir. Ct. 138, 209 A.2d 199 (1964);
Illinois See Vann v. Vehrs, 260 Ill. App. 3d 648, 633 N.E.2d 102 (1994);

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. The law changes constantly.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Contact and hire a lawyer to update the legal research. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer