Skip to main content

Do I have to give a phone statement to the other guy's insurance company or my friend's insurance company, if it's borrowed car?

Gladwyne, PA |

I got into a minor car accident with a borrowed car with her permission. No injuries but a little bit of damage on both sides. I was temporarily parked on the left side of the one-way road, near the corner of a block, past the traffic light. I tried to pull into the left lane with the blinker on, but a van was parked temporarily on the lane. So, I tried to go around it, but another car appeared from my right side and I bumped my front right of the car into his left side of the car. After the accident, we both pulled over and exchanged info. The other guy kept claiming that I was at fault, which I was really scared about and without thinking just admitted that it was my fault. No police was involved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


To the carrier that insures your vehicle if you don't give them a statement, they will not provide coverage and a defense for your actions (or at least threaten to do so). Give them a statement. As to the other driver's insurance, you do not have to give a statement unless and until a lawsuit is actually filed (which may be never).



Thank you for your answer! Should I call back the other guy's insurance company? Because they left a couple of messages asking for my statement.


As a permissive driver of your friend's car, you are covered under your friend's insurance policy. I suggest you contact your insurance company and ask them if they would like you to give a statement to the adverse party's carrier. They will probably advise against it, as would I. Actually, anybody reading your post will know exactly what happened without the need for a formal statement. You are not obligated to give any formal statement to the adverse party. You are, however, as a third-party beneficiary of your friend's insurance contract with her carrier, have an obligation to cooperate with them, otherwise they could withdraw their coverage of you. Cooperate with your friend's carrier and do not volunteer things to the adverse carrier.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you do not want your friend to have a problem with her insurance company, you will cooperate with her company. There is no reason to talk to the other company.


Unless you want to pay it yourself


You should help out your friend and answer her companies request, I would not suggest doing so for the other parties company.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.


I would not give a telephone statement without the advice of your attorney and being in the presence of your attorney if the attorney deems it is wise for you to give a statement.

You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-0932; Cell (484) 769-5855; This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.


You do not have to give a statement to the other driver's company. Giving a statement to your friends company will help out your friend.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer