Skip to main content

Do I have to file form I-693 at the same time as form I-485?

Long Grove, IL |

Hello, I am filing I-485 for adjustment of status and reading conflicting information whether I need file the I-693 Medical form now or later during the process. I am not sure if it matter but I grew up in the States being here since 1993.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If you are sure the AOS is the correct form for you (i.e. you are sure you are not already a green card holder of even a US citizen), then it would be a good idea to include the I-693 with your application if possible. It is possible to wait for an RFE and then file it in response, but that would cause delay to the procedure.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Generally, one who files an I-485 must file the I-693 with it.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


How long you grew up in the US has no bearing on the requirement to submit the medical exam results on a sealed envelope at the time of your submitting your I-485 application. The I-693 has got be submitted now.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You will need to submit form I-693 together with your adjustment of status application.


Did you enter with or without a visa? You will need to submit the medical exam together with your application. However, be sure you actually qualify to adjust status. Filing incorrect forms can result in removal proceedings. If any doubt consult a lawyer. Best of luck!

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.