Skip to main content

Do i have to appear before a judge to petition my son ?

Somerset, NJ |

I am a green card holder and i want to petition my 3 years son is it inevitable to appear before a judge or its just paper procedures ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I need more information to be able to properly answer the question. First off, I assume your son is inside the United States. If yes, how did your son get here?


As long as your son is not in immigration proceedings, you will not need to appear before an immigration judge. it's not clear from your answer where your son is. Typically the process for apply for a child will be the filing of an I-130 followed by an interview at the embassy (if your son is in a foreign country or is here without status) or you may be able to file an I-130 and then apply for adjustment of status (if your son is here legally). You should contact an immigration lawyer to take care of this for you.


You do not need to go to court. You need to submit the proper petition. It is a good idea to speak with a lawyer for help with the forms.


It depends whether your son is in removal proceedings, or is in the U.S., or is consular processing.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You do not have to appear in court for this petition. Good luck.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.