Do I have the right to see the report by a consulting expert in our medical malpractice suit and know who he or she is?

Seminole, FL |

I was told I did not have the right to know, this case hang on the report.

Filed under: Medical malpractice

No. It is protected as attorney work-product. Even its existence is protected. If the expert becomes a testifying expert you have a right to exchange expert reports.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

The answer to this question will likely vary from state to state. In Texas you would probably have the right to the report only if a testifying expert was relying on the consulting expert for some basis of the testifying expert's opinion.

Your question is not exactly clear. If a report is prepared by an expert who is being consulted and/or retained on your behalf, then I cannot imagine how you would not have the right to review such report. This answer changes, however, if the report is a result of a consultation performed on behalf of your civil opponent. As the client, you should have free and unfettered access to all documents prepared and/or submitted on behalf of your claim.

Who ordered the report?

While I believe many who responded made the reasonable assumption that you are referring to the defense's consulting expert, and the responses which they provided are therefore correct, I have the sense that in this instance you are particularly upset because your own counsel is unwilling, for reasons which I could not possibly imagine (unless there is no consulting expert, in truth [but let me add that such a scenario would be incredibly unusual and I do not mean to suggest that this is the case by any means - I am essentially scratching my head out loud, if you will]). In any event, Mr. Thygerson's well-analyzed and comprehensive answer seems to cover all of tyythe potential bases very well, and if,in fact,

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

I apologize. Attempting to provide an answer on a phone's keypad never works out well for me. That last garbled line was intended to conclude with my suggestion that you contact your counsel and simply tell him or her that you only want a logical and candid answer with regard to the question of why a consultant which he or she utilized, if that is the case, would request anonymity, and then, even more odd, why he or she would attempt to provide it. A few more thoughts occurred to me which explain some or all of what is going on here. What phase of the process are you

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

engaged in? Litigation; presuit with the prospective Defendant; the investigatory phase in which counsel may have decided he of she could not accept your case after conferring with several familiar experts? Please provide a bit more information, and it may provide the missing pieces of the puzzle.