Skip to main content

Do i have the right to demand counceling before divorce

Brooksville, FL |

My wife has done very crazy things and is mentally unstable, midlife crises and hormones i guess, and our 3 kids effected dramatically.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


for your wife no, for the children you can ask that she pay a contributory share and then it is up to the Judge

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


Yes you can ask that the court delay entry of the divorce and order counselling. However ultimately it only takes one party to get the divorce. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659


Going through a divorce can be a mentally destabilizing experience for all of the parties involved. However, the State of Florida is a "no-fault" divorce state, meaning the only requirement to dissolve a marriage in the State of Florida is to prove your marriage is "irretrievably broken."

It is a noble endeavor for you to want to save your marriage by going through some marital counseling. Unfortunately, if your wife's position is that the marriage is "irretrievably broken," generally Courts will not force a party against his or her will to go through marital counseling.

My law firm is located in Brooksville, Florida and I would be happy to sit down with you and answer any other questions you may have. Divorce consultations at my firm are absolutely free.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Osa J. Harp, IV, Esquire
Harp Law Firm, LLC
(352) 796-9303


What kind of counseling do you want? Are you trying to reconcile? Are you wanting her to be more mentally stable before she is around the children? Do you want the children in counseling? You can't force your wife to go to counseling to reconcile. You can file a motion to request a mental examination and/or treatment if you believe your wife is a danger to your children emotionally or physically. And you can file a motion or try to get your wife to agree to put the children in counseling if you believe they are being impacted negatively by the divorce.

This attorney is licensed in the State of Texas only and this information does not constitute legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, please consult with an attorney at your earliest convenience.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer