Skip to main content

Do I have the right to contact the prosecuting law officer in my traffic violation case and try to negotiate a deal?

Norwalk, OH |

I pled not guilty to a traffic citation, because I disagree that I am responsible for the minor collision and the officer cited me for the wrong ordinance. However, now the prosecutor filed to change the ordinance I'm charged under, I'm looking at taking more time off work for a trial and it is all just becoming a headache. Can I just contact the prosecutor and ask for a deal if I change my plea to no contest? For example, would it be reasonable to say that I would be willing to pay the fine and court cost if he agrees not to put any points on my driving record? (I have a perfect record right now.) I've been told that it would probably be in his best interest to work a deal as well to save the court the cost of the trial. I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on this. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


YES. However you have to understand that MOST prosecutors also have full time jobs as defense attorneys. What that means, that if you call them about city business, on a non-city business day, they MAY or may not be willing to talk to you. MOST of the time these discussions take place at the pretrial, and not at prior to the pretrial. I would try if I were in your shoes, but you do not know what the result may be here. Good luck

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.


Speak with an Ohio attorney. Most deals are done at pre-trial.



You are permitted to do this. Keep in mind that the prosecutor does not have to talk to you. There are lots of prosecutors that will only talk to defense attorneys and not defendant's. You can ask for a no points violation but should have a plan in place for what if the prosecutor says no. Even if it is a no points violation it has the potential to affect your insurance premiums. No contest would be the same thing as pleading guilty but can't be used against you in a civil proceeding. If you are interested in fighting the case or getting a favorable outcome you need to hire an attorney. Otherwise you are gambling.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
1370 North Fairfield Rd.
Suite C
Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
(937)426-4000 fax

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


While you certainly could do that, many prosecutors in smaller communities have other jobs and might not get the message quickly enough to take care of that. Also, given that there is property damage associated with your case, some prosecutor's offices may refuse to offer any sort of deals, and may even demand that you pay restitution to the other person involved.

You may want to consider hiring an attorney who knows the law, can review the facts, and can engage with the prosecutor to increase your chances of a favorable outcome.

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advise, they are given based on the information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advise. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advise from an attorney and is urged to do so.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer