Skip to main content

Do I have rights as a grandparent, to take my son's daughter's mother to court for visitation?

White Plains, NY |

My son has a four year old daughter and the mother do not allow us to see her. We see her if we are lucky once or twice a year. I love my granddaughter and would like to see her more often. The mother has a childsupport order against my son as if he's not responsible. He buys his daughter everything and wants to be in her life, the mother rarely brings my granddaughter around. By the time we see her she has out grown everything we have purchased for her. My son has been going back and fourth to court for childsupport trying to fight the order against him. The mother wants support through the courts so she can keep my granddaughter away from us. What can we do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your son may apply to the court for additional visitation or a change in custody. You may not make such an application on your own behalf, but you can certainly help your son with the legal expenses. You can search the attorney profiles here on Avvo for an attorney in your area. Contact two or three to compare costs and philosophical fit, and get some help for your son. Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to contact her directly for a legal consultation, you may do so by calling 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer