Skip to main content

Do I have non-parental custody rights as a girlfriend? How might I be able to solidify a stepparent adoption?

Philadelphia, PA |

My boyfriend and his son's mother have constantly fought due to personal issues and regarding their child. She likes to use her son as a weapon, constantly threatening to take him back to another state where her family lives. Not only that, but to this day she tries to alien him saying things like "I hope Daddy gets hit by a bus" and "Daddy is an a**hole". She's beaten her son's father in front of him and harassed him about relinquishing his rights to their child. I'm afraid for this boy's wellbeing and I'd like to know if I have any rights to him since he lives with me and his father on the weekends, and how I might be able to adopt him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You do not have any separate rights to the child at this point. Also, since the mother is involved with the child, I do not see any possibility of adoption.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer